I mixed a palette today, from the usual suspects: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Cobalt Blue & Black (all from yesterday’s simple palette) and Yellow Ochre, Magenta, Alizarin Crimson and Viridian.
I decided on a self-defeating cancelling range, essentially adding 3 greens (Viridian alone, Cobalt/Cad Yellow and Cobalt/Yellow Ochre) to 3 reds (Magenta, Alizarin Crimson and Cadmium Red). I got 9 tertiaries which, on further inspection (adding White) yielded:
Blue-Grey, from Crimson/VIridianBlue, from Magenta and Viridian (it worked REALLY well, Willa)
Grey from Cadmium Red/Viridian
Cadmium Red/Cadmium Yellow/Cobalt Blue gave me a lovely Ochre
Crimson/Cadmium Yellow/Cobalt Blue gave me a Green-Grey
Cadmium Red/Yellow Ochre/Cobalt/Blue gave me an Orange/Brown
Magenta/Yellow Ochre/Cobalt Blue gave me a Violet/Grey
The last two possible combinations ended up as spare Greys.
Naturally Titanium White was needed in each mix.
I didn’t start down the usual path of categorizing into Warm/Cool, Dark/Light and Bright/Dulll but was content with the inherent harmony of the range:
(red is only implied)
The painting wasn’t great to be honest – I know that I need to put the Gorky discovery into action. Painting from drawings is fine/essential, if I actually have something to explore.
Tomorrow, I’m going to set myself a more formal course and try to start with a drawing that actually might lead somewhere.
I did have some success finding places to use some of these colours on the three extant paintings …